Testimonials and Patient Photos

Testimonials and Patient Stories

Kona, a Blue Heeler mix, was not even a year old when he first came to us in January of 2007.  He was adopted from the Longmont Humane Society by a very loving and generous family that took all measures to heal Kona when he presented with a complaint of front limb lameness. In February, Kona was taken to surgery, and a section of bone was removed and a ring fixator was placed to help stabilize the bones and actually lengthen them while they healed.  Kona stayed 3 days in the hospital after his surgery, and he touched all of our hearts.  At such a young age, Kona was incredibly brave and stoic as he endured the painful and lengthy healing process that came with his condition.  Despite the difficult progression, Kona was always so happy to see us each time he came for a recheck.  As time passed, Kona healed beautifully, which was apparent as he came bounding through the front door for the last few appointments!  Kona’s brave spirit was truly admirable, and we were so happy to see him make such a great recovery!

Snickers was seen by AMVS after he was attacked by two other dogs, he suffered injuries to his shoulder and neck.  He had multiple puncture wounds, strain of his shoulder muscles and possible herniation of his cervical spine.  Snickers, weighing 109 pounds, did not get along with everyone at the hospital, but he did decide to befriend the smallest AMVS nurse! While he was hospitalized for his recovery he allowed her to aid him in his daily necessities without putting up a fight. While Snickers was in the hospital he was affectionately named “Big Daddy” due to his large size and the affection he showed to his favorite nurse. He was discharged from AMVS before he was fully able to ambulate on his own. Over the course of time and with the strong devotion and dedication of his family he has made a full recovery & enjoys life to its fullest.

Jessie was a 7-year-old lab that came to us after a TPLO surgery at another clinic, in 2006. Unfortunately, her bone never healed after the surgery, and her leg was broken in several places. This brave girl was walking on her broken leg, getting around as well as she could. She underwent two more surgeries to repair that leg in the next year. Eventually she was healed well enough to return to her old self: playing fetch and going for walks. One year later, however, Jessie began limping again. The surgeons determined that she tore the ligament in her other knee and needed another TPLO.  It was also determined that she suffered from degenerative joint disease in both of her elbows. She underwent surgery once more, to fix her other three legs. This time, her recovery from surgery went smoothly, and she was able to go for daily walks again.  Jessie went on to enjoy many more months of happy, pain-free walks and playful sessions of fetch.


 Jordan was a 1½-year-old male Pug mix who came to us with horrible sloughing on his hind legs and groin area.  He was in so much pain, yet was always so sweet.  He had to endure several weeks of hospital care along with many bandage changes throughout his worsening condition.  He was here for so long that he became our little “cowboy” because he walked like a cowboy with his giant casts on.  Unfortunately, because his tissue continued to deteriorate, Jordan passed away.  The entire hospital felt his loss.  Whenever we hear his name, we remember that we gave Jordan all of our love and devoted time.

Pippi first came into our lives when she was 4 months old.  She was a tiny chocolate brown, Toy Poodle.  She had no home and she needed a lot of care.  She had hit the dashboard in a car and subluxated her neck.  She quickly found a foster home here, and within 3 days, she had a permanent home.  Over the next 8 months, Pippi valiantly underwent 4 surgeries and 3 body casts:  never complaining, always ready to give  kisses.  She still loved toys and being cuddled even though she could not move.  After Pippi’s last surgery, she didn’t have the strength to wake up.  She spent 3 days in a semi-coma, rousing occasionally to acknowledge her parents and the other dogs in the household; she would wag her tail when she heard her dad’s voice.  On the third day, Pippi had not improved and the tearful decision to let her go was made.  As Pippi’s mom waited for her husband to join them to send Pippi off, Pippi once again gave all of herself.  She took the terrible decision out of her parents’ hands, took one long breath, and died on her own.  Her parents have her buried on their property.  An ash tree was planted next to her to shade her forever.  She is remembered everyday.

Sara, a 16-year-old Golden, first came wagging her tail into our hospital in 2004 when she needed surgery to help her breathe easier while sleeping and exercising.  She recovered well and was off in the mountains hiking with her family in no time. In 2006, we saw Sara back in the hospital only to learn she had cancer in her lungs. We went back to surgery with Sara and she did well. With lots of energy and kisses for everyone during every visit she had, we got to know her wonderful two-legged and four-legged family well. Sara’s energy and great attitude will always be with us.Solo originally came into AMVS in August of 2006 for a torn cruciate ligament in one of his back legs.  Dr. Rooney performed a TPLO, Solo handled the post operative regimen with bravery and without complaint.  He always had a tail wag for the staff and quickly became a memorable patient.  Less than a year later, Solo returned to us with front leg lameness.  Radiographs quickly provided the poor prognosis of osteosarcoma; a very aggressive type of bone cancer.  Soon after his diagnosis, Solo lost his battle to the unforgiving cancer.  It was evident from the first day he walked into our hospital that he was a huge part of the family.  His family provided him with love, food, and shelter; he provided them with a love that was unconditional and will never be forgotten.

Trevor, a 5-year-old Lab mix, was out for a family outing when they got in a car accident, and Trevor was thrown from the car. In addition to road rash, cuts and bruises, Trevor had a spinal injury that prevented him from walking. He underwent surgery to fix his disk space and recovered well from his initial surgery. Unfortunately, 5 days later, Trevor’s progress deteriorated markedly. Another surgery revealed that he had additional injuries to his spinal cord that resulted in his spinal cord being severed. Due to his poor prognosis, Trevor was euthanized on the surgery table. Throughout his ordeal, Trevor’s attitude remained positive. He was always willing to give kisses and try to wag his tail. He tried so hard to get up, move around, and even walk. Each morning, he was moved to a prominent bed in the center of the clinic where he could see the day’s action. Each afternoon he was moved to Trevor – a dark quiet kennel where he could rest undisturbed. Trevor is most famous for his skill at opening his own peanut butter jars at home to help himself to his favorite treat.

Willy was a very tenacious and active Jack Russell terrier.  He was either out chasing a ball or fishing with his owner. Willy was just a puppy when he first came to AMVS; he had been seen once for a dislocated toe and once for an allergic reaction caused by a catfish sting – yes a catfish! His first major medical issue was back in 2001, when he developed urinary bladder stones that had to be surgically removed.  Willy did great until September 2007 when AMVS surgery staff had to go back into his bladder to remove more stones.  In April 2008, a liver biopsy was done when Willy’s condition worsened; he was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. Unfortunately, his cirrhosis was so far advanced he never fully recovered after the surgery, and his parents made the difficult decision to let Willy go.  Willy was only 7 years old when he went to the Rainbow Bridge.  During his short life, Willy was known for catching and eating his own fish; he also loved to go hiking and would play ball for hours at a time.  Willy was loved by everyone he came into contact with; he will be missed.

Cotton was originally seen by the AMVS emergency team in November of 2007 after sustaining a broken front leg. His owners could not pay for his care and so relinquished him to the humane society. Longmont Humane Society splinted his broken leg and cared for him while he recovered. After the splint was removed, the doctors discovered he had an angular limb deformity: his right front leg curved dramatically to the side.
His new family brought him to AMVS to see our surgeons. The doctors informed his new owners that he would need at least two surgeries to correct the curve in his front leg. One would be done immediately and the other when he was more fully grown. Due to the extent of the surgeries, the cost was to be split between the new owners, the humane society and AMVS. Cotton stlll showed pain after both corrective surgeries and in June of 2009, AMVS amputated his affected limb. Today, still in bandages after his third surgery, Cotton is recovering well. He is eager to be the playful, happy puppy that his family fell in love with at the humane society.

More stories to come soon!